Monday 24 January 2011

The Lighthouse Bakery

An unusual title for one of our blogs I know, but.....I did say that the blog would be to do with all things flower / flour related!  Sorry!  I'll be including flour related photos too....all my own work.

Given that we are slightly quieter for weddings in January, I decided to take a Saturday off and learn a new skill.  I was lucky enough to be given a day at The Lighthouse Bakery (near Bodiam) as a gift and went along on Saturday to the Introduction to Baking day.  We were all warmly welcomed by Liz and as there were only six people on the course (7 a maximum), we all got to know each other really quickly.

Well, what can I say....I have been baking cakes / scones etc since I was a little girl, but have never attempted bread before.  This didn't matter at all as everything was explained so clearly by Liz and all six participants ended up with a lovely "swag" of bread to bring home at the end of the day.  Despite being a perfectionist, I even photographed my misshapen Cottage Loaf below.....I'm going to be practising that one again to get the shape right (although the flavour was fab!).

Lunch was cooked for us by Rachel (yummy risotto with rolls made by ourselves along with salad) and we all left feeling very happy and fulfilled.  For the dog owners amongst us, we even met Spook, the gorgeous resident puppy and swapped many anecdotes!

Whilst life is usually so busy, and when running a business it is always tempting to fill up every day with work related meetings, consultations etc, It's so good to allow yourself a little time to learn something new.  I can thoroughly recommend The Lighthouse Bakery (http://www.lighthousebakery.co.uk/) and indeed am going to return to learn about European baking very soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment